NOTE: This blog is now available as a book with added comments and thoughts. It is a fundraiser for MSA research. Please consider purchasing either a kindle version from the Kindle store @$3.99, the Paperback version at Amazon @$19.99 and letting all your friends and family know. We can help find treatments and a possible cure for MSA and other alphabet diseases! It can be purchased here.
Also visit my original, "all-purpose" blog http://www.justsomeposts.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

HELLO...?

I have mentioned before that communication for my wife (and those of us trying to communicate with her) is a very, VERY frustrating thing. I am travelling again this week and one of the things I always try to do is call her at least once a day just to "check in". This is so frustrating for her and me. She has trouble holding the phone to her mouth/ear, and that combined with her inability to speak clearly and with volume makes a phonecall a frustrating experience. She actually does not get many phonecalls now from anyone but myself just for that reason. I know she likes to hear from me (and others) so I make a point to call.

It always makes me so sad to hear her, actually to not be able to hear her. I am constantly saying "I did not hear that" or just "what" or "excuse me"; at almost every comment. I end up cutting the call short just because of the frustration level for her and myself. What is the saddest to me however, is when I call her and she does not answer. What I get (or now got, because Verizon changed our voicemail service and her message was erased) is her voice from three or so years ago. It would tear me up to hear her bright, cheerful, clear voice with volume telling me she was not available. As I have commented before, it is amazing how quickly this disease takes away that which those of us that are not afflicted take for granted; like eating, speaking, walking, driving, etc. It always amazed me that her voice could change so much in such a short time.

We always get some form of conversation in, however; and she made my day today when I said "I did not have anything particular to tell you. I just wanted to say hi". Her response was "I am glad you did".

Like I said, we are just searching for the shade.

1 comment:

  1. I tell many people that I too enjoy calling Mom and having her not answer the phone so I can hear her voice which I miss so much. I hope there is a way we can keep the voice mail box forever. I miss her voice so much.

    ReplyDelete