NOTE: This blog is now available as a book with added comments and thoughts. It is a fundraiser for MSA research. Please consider purchasing either a kindle version from the Kindle store @$3.99, the Paperback version at Amazon @$19.99 and letting all your friends and family know. We can help find treatments and a possible cure for MSA and other alphabet diseases! It can be purchased here.
Also visit my original, "all-purpose" blog http://www.justsomeposts.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A new forum - the timeline and setup

I thought I would do this post to keep my other blog http://www.justsomeposts.blogspot.com/ "clean" with my ridiculous thoughts and political/social commentary. This blog will be my thoughts and comments on my and my wife's journey with her disease - multiple system atrophy. If you are not familiar with this disease, don't feel bad. We still have to explain it to doctors, nurses and medical staff most places we go. Google it, you will find good information out there. Here is the official definition from the National Institutes of Health:

Multiple System Atrophy (MSA) is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder characterized by symptoms of autonomic nervous system failurs such as fainting spells and bladder control problems, combined with motor control symptoms such as tremor, rigidity, and loss of motor coordination. MSA affects both men and women primarily in their 50s.

There is no cure for MSA. Currently, there are no treatments to delay the progress of neurodegeneration in the brain. But there are treatments to help people cope with some of the more disabling symptoms of MSA.

The disease tends to advance rapidly over the course of 9 to 10 years, with progressive loss of motor skills, eventual confinement to bed, and death. There is no remission from the disease. There is currently no cure.


Why "Living with a Snow(wo)man" you may ask? I liken this disease to a "melting" of the individual. Trying to hang on to the loved one you knew is akin to trying to keep a snowman (or snowwoman in our case) whole. The disease is insidious. Watching the progress is like watching a snowman melt. Hence the title.



This blog will be mostly for me. I will try to not be too morbid or self-serving, but hey - MY BLOG! If you want to follow along, you are welcomed. If there are things you like or dislike, tell me. If you think I should not be doing it, or hate it; don't read it. Again - MY BLOG. One thing I am NOT looking for is pity or empathy for me. Although this disease is a trial for me and affects every aspect of my life (whether as the elephant in the room, or just the day to day scheduling), the burden on me is nothing compared to the burden on my wife. If you need to offer pity, empathy, sorrow, prayers, or tears; offer them to her. She is facing the disease with a character, bravery, and dignity that I probably could not muster on a bet.



After this opening, the first posts will be "reprints" of the posts I have done on my other blog. Some of them may not be "clean" posts just about the disease. The new posts will be that, but I want a chronicle of where we've been. First a timeline and an update of where we are today.



Sept 2005 - my wife called me at work and told me she had felt ill trying to get in the door of our house. She said she could not get the key to work and felt disoriented and dizzy. I thought she had had a "mini-stroke"(TIA) and told her to take an aspirin, a vitamin E, and to sit down and wait for me. I went home and took her to the ER. After hours of testing, they determined that she may indeed have had an transient ischemic event. We were told to go home and rest. More testing followed. We are not sure what if any relationship this event had in her present state, but we always start our timeline here when we talk to doctors (and there have been a LOT of those!).

My wife for years and years had told me she would get "dizzy" when walking from a parking lot in the daytime into a store or mall. We thought nothing of it, but mentioned it to the doctor when she had her suspected TIA. During the months following her TIA she would get dizzy and light-headed upon standing, especially after sitting a long time. Going from an air conditioned space (a car particularly) to a hot parking lot was especially bad. She then started experiencing syncope (fainting) upon standing or exertion. She started going to doctors. This is all in the early months of 2006. She was still working full time as a registered nurse, driving, cooking, and otherwise leading a fairly normal life. She just passed out from time to time. She went to cardiologists, endocrinologists, and neurologists; as well as her family doctor. After tests and tests and tests, where she was pronounced a "very healthy woman except that you have this syncope going on", we found a doctor that gave her a diagnosis of MSA in early 2007. However I left out the progression of symptoms.

During 2006 her fainting spells progressively got worse. She could tell they were coming on most of the time, but could not do anything to prevent them. She passed out in the parking lot walking into work a few times. They never told her directly, but we heard she was suspected of being an alcoholic or drug addict by many. She suffered from a loss of coordination as well as some vision problems. By June of 2006 she was out of work. She was told that she was too much of a liability. That was a big milestone for her. Losing one's profession is to lose one's self in our society, to a point. She was using a cane to help with her balance by mid to late 2006. I was accompanying her to the doctors now, as her driving was not as good; and our concern that something serious was going on had definitely set in. We went to many, many doctors; none who could offer any answers.

At UNC Hospitals in February of 2007 (my wife says January, but I am writing this and I remember February) Dr. Georgia Lea gave us the official diagnosis of MSA. I had reached that conclusion from studies on the internet and we had discussed it some in general; but unless you have had it happen to you, you cannot imagine getting a diagnosis like that. A death sentence - no cure, no treatment, no hope. That was a rough day. She made phone calls and we met with our kids and told them. A lot of tears were shed that day.

Back to my wife's symptoms. She had developed Parkinson's like tremors during the latter months of 2006 and into 2007. MSA is considered one of the class of diseases sometimes called "Parkinson's Plus" (it's the "plus" that gets you) and this is part of the progression of the disease.
Treatment with Carbidopa/Levadopa started to help with these. She remains on the drug today.
There are also some drugs that can be taken to help with the syncope. The problem with her is if there was a negative side effect from a drug, she seemed to get it. But, through study and experience we became good a mitigating if not stopping the fainting spells. During this time her handwriting became very small and somewhat illegible. This too is a common symptom. Her speech has also suffered with some slurring occurring by this time.

Sometime in early to mid 2007 she went to a walker, or more accurately - a rollator (a walker with wheel instead of skids). She was till moving pretty well, but needed it for balance - which was deteriorating. By December of 2007 she went to using a wheelchair most of the time. By early 2008, the wheelchair was full-time. The symptoms mentioned above were all still around, and more pronounced. Her writing was almost illegible even to her. She would write something down and days later have no idea what it said. During 2008 she was using a powerchair for getting out and about some as well as the wheelchair.

In 2009, the symptoms continued to worsen. Her speech was slurring more and more. Phone conversations, even with those that know her became more difficult. The ability to take steps is waining as her reliance on the chair increases. The tremors are more pronounced and make eating difficult. During this time, she went from needing her food cut up to needing help getting it on to her silverware, to needing help eating.

Today, my wife is in her wheelchair, lift chair, or bed all the time. We do get out some, in fact we did a cruise last October. Her ability to write is pretty much gone. Her ability to eat unaided is pretty much gone. Her ability to hold a conversation on the phone is pretty much gone. Her ability to type is pretty much gone. Her tremors are very pronounced and annoying. Her balance is non-existent. You get the picture.

Now for the good(?). Her ability to laugh is still there. Her ability to make me laugh is still there. We try to have a good laugh every day. I do my best to make her laugh as she does me. Her mind is still there (that can be good and bad, she definitely realizes what she has lost and where she is headed). Her memory is still better than mine on certain things. The love she has for her children, grandchildren, and family is boundless. She is one of the most selfless individuals I have ever known. Her concern for others, especially her family far outweighs her concern for herself. I am reminded every day why I married her. I am reminded every day why this disease is a living hell for both of us.

On with the show. As I said the next posts will be "reprints" of posts I have made on my wife and her disease on my other blog.

3 comments:

  1. Please give your wife a hug for me and you as well. I was diagnosed with MSA a year ago and reading this timeline I can relate to your wife. It is so important to keep the humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I have read your blog is very informative for me because I don't know about this MSA, my good wishes with your wife.

    Thanks For Post
    ----------------
    Handwriting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big hugs to both of you!! My Dad was recently diagnosed with MSA and me and my siblings are laying away wracked with worry every night ever since 😢

    ReplyDelete